3.12.2008

Guatemala: Day 8

This is the eighth day of my journal for the 2004 trip I took to Guatemala. This is a transcription from the notebook I took, but if there is any additional explanation necessary, I put that information in [brackets]. This is how it reads:

Saturday. Left Mound 5 behind with Felíx, Augosto, Juan y Haniból to work a half day. Went to Abaj Takalik which was pretty cool. It seems to be the same set up as Chocolá, set between two rivers with many a mound and water canals. It just so happens that Abaj Takalik (Standing Stone) was found in 1888 instead of 2 years ago. Eric Thompson and Tatiana Proukosinoff both worked on the site in the 40s and 50s. I took pictures of features that were skeletons, alligator, toad, etc.

Came back home and talked to Diana. A very sweet girl who looks younger than 30. She's probably somewhat of a nerd like myself. Mayra I also talked to. She thought I was mad at her because I didn't talk to her when I saw her. Seems like a lot of senseless soap-opera drama, or maybe it's just a way to gain reassurance. She saw me talking to Diana, probably got a little jealous. But I talked to her for a while afterward. She had me write down sentences in English for her to remember like, "¿Quieres ser mi novio?" [Would you like to be my boyfiend.] She'd say it [as I wrote it down in English], then I'd say "Sí" [as an affirmation that she was correct in what she said when reading it] and she'd get all excited [obviously as a play on what I was saying yes to]. She did that and I fell for it twice. Doña María gets in on the action too. She asks me if I think both Diana and Mayra are cute/"bonita". Also, she boldly asks if I wanted to be Mayra's novio. I couldn't answer. I don't know how they do things around here, but I can't go about things in that way. Doña María calls me a mentiroso [liar] because she doesn't believe that someone as "guapo" as me is without a novia. I would just tell her that I'm tímido [shy].

We watched the Big Lebowski tonight [in Spanish]. I would have rather talked to either Diana or Mayra instead but it kinda felt like a group thing. I can watch that shit at home. I let Mayra take a couple pics. There's one of me and also José who helps in the kitchen. Mayra maybe comes up to my chest. She's really cute.

Saw a cacao tree with pods about 4"x2". Char's getting into Spanish a bit and trying to teach Freddy some English.

No idea what I'm doing tomorrow. I'll tell you later.

[in the margins:]

putazo = pimp
chichudo = confident man

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home