3.11.2008

Guatemala: Day 7

This is the seventh day of my journal for the 2004 trip I took to Guatemala. This is a transcription from the notebook I took, but if there is any additional explanation necessary, I put that information in [brackets]. This is how it reads:

Today was a long day of working. Brett was feeling bad today, so he did less than usual. I asked Haniból what was up with that, but he made up some excuse.

Went to the ladies' place today. Char was tolerable, if not fun. You just have to figure out a way to take her in moderation. Got proper fucked there thanks to some Ron [rum] y SuperCola [their name brand coke]. Had some dinner afterward and ate at the Spanish table. [We had two tables in the dining area. Just by chance we generally segregated ourselves into the Americans versus the Guatemalans. It probably wasn't anything beyond the fact that we found it easier to speak English with those who preferred to speak it, or could only speak it.] I didn't even realize that no one there spoke English, although there was Alvaro y Juan Antonio. [They spoke English rather well, but Spanish was their first language and chose to speak it at the "Spanish table".]

After most everyone left, Doña María's family, at least one hijo y su familia [son and his family]came in and ate. We had a conversación while Mayra sat next to me. We talked for a bit, and then I ended up walking her and her aunt home. Mayra's second name is Laitecia y apellido es [and last name is] Jójxia [That's definitely a Mayan name] or something like that. I'll keep saying it, but she's a very sweet girl with a pleasant smile.

Before I forget, I want to mention the workers Juan Bravo y Haniból. They are the guys I work with the most, but there's also Felíx y Augosto. We found a four-layered wall today which may mean big things. Maybe in the future I can say: yeah, I worked on that site.

A bit drunk tonight. Maybe that's what brought me the chichudo (confidence) to walk Mayra home. I learned that spelling today. Walked her home and got a handshake. Didn't get invited in. Got a lot of jokes at the table for walking her home. I guess simple acquaintances is all that is needed to be "hooked up" with someone here. Anyway, I need to get a good picture of her.

It's time for bed. Goodnight all. Buenas noches.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

not that I'd expect anything less from you, but I like the way you're linking to pics of the people you are talking about. :-)

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home