10.12.2006

media

My life lately has consisted of my existence and interactions between two points that are a 25-minute walk away from each other--my room and my building at school.

Outside of this, I have no view into the world that exists around me other than the occasional viewing of cnn.com which tells me of a few global and federal events. I don't watch TV, I don't listen to the radio, and I don't read newspapers.

Today I had to go to town. I get in my car and I am immediately barraged with one radio commercial after another repeatedly yelling "USE YOUR PFD ON US" in my ear.
I do my business with the NPS downtown and decide to hit up Fred Meyer (FFM) for some groceries.
As immediately as I walk in, I am bombarded with visions of giant pumpkins and exotic gourds.
Halloween. Even though my birthday is quickly approaching, I hadn't really thought about it.

In my 25-minute bubble I've been immune to media and retail telling me what to think and buy.
And I've enjoyed it.
They must hate me. I go for 2 weeks without buying a damn thing.
Lucky for them though, they plan for people like me and run decorations for halloween and the likes WELL in advance.
I remember being confronted with Christmas every year immediately after Halloween.
This year, however, I won't sigh with the anguish of the coming holidays.
This will be the second time in about 5 years where I'll be able to enjoy the holidays as they were meant to be.
Retail has lost its crusty grip on me and all I'll be doing during the next few months is feeding its greed.
Not as well as it would hope, but some traditions you still can't go against and look human.

Not only that, but I'll get to spend almost a month in a care-free environment with Jemma at my side.
What a nice change from all the beards and snow that I'll have grown accustomed to by then.

Maybe my outlook on holidays will come to be much less skewed the longer I stay away from retail.
I'll still be mournful, however, over my bretheren that are still held oppressed by the needs of the people.
You make the world go round 24/7 and all people want you to do is serve them longer.

Media and retail.
I hate you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home