2.21.2006

Totem

Last week I got anxious from sitting around the house and decided to get out. I didn't know what to do with myself and couldn't go too far cuz I had to work at 6, so I just thought I'd head back up Totem Hill like I did just after I came back from Alaska. Although this time in the light.

What I found out, was that that place is very plain in the daytime. Other than beer cans hung on tree branches, the foliage wasn't even as thick as I had remembered. I guess a veil of darkness just adds that much more intrigue.

So I headed off from there in hopes of discovering something cool around Totem Lake, which is hidden from view off the intersection of 124th Ave and 124th St.
The lake is a nice getaway from all the traffic around. It's just a bunch of high cattails and small trees that harbor a bit of wildlife.
Nothing big, maybe a city block.

There's even a little boardwalk that take you out to an overlook of the lake past some of those cattails.
Last time I went out there was maybe a year ago and there was a floating island with just enough dirt for two small trees to be attached to it. I don't know what happened to it, whether it reattached itself to the banks of the lake, or if it took a nosedive to the bottom.

Beyond the lake there was an additional trail. I found an adbandoned construction site with a few support pillars, maybe for a garage, but it just looked like everyone had up and left the site. Beyond it were a bunch of condos in a single building. Their backyard is the wooded area on 124th just before you dive into the valley to Redmond.
It's weird how you never really notice the area cuz you can't drive through it.
For that matter, I wonder how many Totem Lakers even know that there is a Totem Lake or it's location.
From either 124th, you can't really see it unless you know what you're looking for.
Even in the winter if you're just driving by it's not obvious.
Either way, I took pictures. Nothing too exciting, but I got to get out, and I got to hike around in marshy, blackberry-ridden areas.
Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home