1.04.2006

Redondo

Went diving again today.
Over at Redondo Beach, like last week.
The tide was probably at least 10 feet lower than last time, and the water was 48 degrees.
I believe that's the coldest I've ever dove in.

This time around we saw a lot of sunstars again, and tiny to medium sized dungeness crabs.
We came upon what looked like an old-time car that was rusty and in pieces. The axle was still in tack but completely brownish-red with rust.
Down further we found a boat that still had its windshield.
Rocks had slid down the hillside and started to pile up behind the glass.

This was my second dive in my drysuit, and I'm beginning to get the hang of it.
As you go deeper, you have to introduce more air or you get squeezed.
You have to also be aware of not getting too much air in around your legs.
It's a difficult task.
When you're ready to dump air, you tilt upright slightly and point your left arm toward the surface. My dump is on my arm, so I just squeeze my arm together and the air releases.
Then you return to the original position, and the air repositions itself.
It's a very odd feeling to have a bubble of air surrounding you.
It's rather difficult to control.

Because I have no thermal insulation, Cory only had us out for 25 minutes.
I was kind of cold. But I could have gone for another 10 minutes.
It's weird how now with only my hands and head getting wet, that it seems the cold is intensified in those areas, when before I was wet all over and the intensity, I guess, was dispersed throughout my body and didn't seem like as much of a deal.

In other diving news.
there was a small article featuring some people from my shop.
Bones is one of them, I've chatted with him before, but I don't know his real name to tell which is him in the picture.

Then I got an email from another diver, Raul Alvarez, who caught a sunstar trying to get on a clam.

And Bob Bailey put up some more pictures.
I like the squid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home